Thursday, September 11, 2008

slow cooking and more..

so, instead of researching for my thesis. oh my god. i went to KMART today and bought a slow cooker. I feel like I've hit an all time domestic high. but actually, i really want to start making my own hand salves (and secretly plot to make this my homemade xmas gifts this year-- the kind that i really like but my family is ewwwed by). it all started with the Boulder Farmers Market. i bought this beautiful, strikingly beautiful bag of dried calendula flowers from an older hippy farmer lady. I was thrilled by their bright orange color. However, I had no idea what to do with them. Upon inquiry, i discovered that calendula has skin healing properties, and is often used in salves. all you have to do is infuse them in olive oil. you can do it in a jar in sunlight for about a week, but apparently that yield a lot of microorganisms that can make yr salve go rancid quicker. Another online tip I found was to infuse by slow cooker. Hence my trip to KMART, in lieu of aforementioned pressing academic work. There were other justifications for such a purchase: I'm really excited to make myself cooked grain porridge overnight, y'know, with raisins, oats, flax, etc. I dont have the patience and time in the morning to cook the shit . but i love the idea of putting it in the night before and letting it slowly stew itself to creamy, delicious, nutritious perfection. i just hope the paranoia of catching the house on fire doesn't keep me up at night. If anyone has slow cooker recipes, hit me up!

4 comments:

hannah said...

I don't have a slow cooker, but I have a pressure cooker and it is awesome for making quick n easy whole grains. Can't wait to hear about your culinary exploits. I've been fermenting like crazy here in Oakland - sauerkraut, kimchi, ginger beer, sourdough, yogurt, kefir, and kombucha. I love it!

jill said...

is ginger beer fermented? intriguing! are you using the wild fermentation book? i wonder if i could make sauerkraut for xmas gifts!

Paula said...

If you're interested in fermentation, Alton Brown (of Food Netwk. fame) has lots of info in a few of his episodes of Good Eats. I bet you could find the sauerkraut recipe of his online.

Also, short grain brown rice + vanilla soy milk + raisins + orange zest or cinnamon or whatever you like = excellent breakfast. You could probably do that over night in your slow cooker, eh?

jill said...

mmmmm, i could make rice pudding for bfast! deelish.i'm starting to think about food a lot more lately. its time to gather the proverbial nuts for wintertime.