Friday, September 5, 2008

Orgasmic Birth!

I just went the the screening of Orgasmic Birth and it was, phenomenal! I volunteered and help set-up and sell tix, and we sold out in 15 minutes! There was a massive crowd of angry mamas outside demanding to see it, so we had to have a second screening after the first. Amazing! The film was directed by my Doula instructor Debra, who is just this phenomenal woman. Mother of 6, Doula of 26 years or something absurd, and she teaches doulas internationally. Just a really magnetic and inspiring lady. Anyhow, I'm all jazzed now to do my senior clinical in women's health and help people have amazing birth experiences. My oxytocin levels are high and I've got moaning ladies and babies on the brain. How exciting! Also, if you haven't seen Ricki Lakes Business of Being Born,  you need to netflix that shit, its really eye opening. Its so exciting to be having all these movies coming out, really opening the dialogue of how important it is for women to take back their healthcare and informing them on their rights and decisions in maternity care. So great! I'm so jazzed about it.

6 comments:

Paula said...

Oh Lordy -just the trailer got me all teary-eyed. I can't watch anything about natural birth without getting really sentimental. Ray's birth was sooooo HARD. I would love to have another way next time, but unfortunately the only legal thing is the hospital in our state. I want to have my next baby at home, dammit.

jill said...

why can't you have it at home? is it a VBAC? have you talked to local midwives? you could always travel somewhere else for the last few weeks of your pregnancy.

Paula said...

Apparently it is illegal in NY for a midwife to attend a homebirth, and the nearest birth center is in Vermont (2 hours away). I learned last time that there will be no laboring in the car for me for any length of time!

Paula said...

Wait -let me clarify that: in upstate New York a midwife has to have a "practice-agreement" with an OB/Gyn or something, and no one seems to have one. There are only 2 midwives in our entire region to begin with, and the only one who can deliver in our local hospital is teamed up with a male OB whose rates of ceasarian are kinda high. Doesn't that stink?

jill said...

only 2 midwives, wow! Getting backed by an OB seems pretty standard for homebirth midwives. Around here the csect rate in hospitals is like 40%, so in my opinion, if you're wanting a vag birth, most folks are better off having a homebirth, Most never have to go to the hospital. I'd check what the other OB's cesection rates are, most are surprisingly high. But you probably already know this!

Paula said...

I guess I don't even need to worry about all this until I manage to get pregnant again. Seems that the little bit of nursing that Ray still does may be interfering. I'm torn about weaning. I don't want to rush her, and just the thought makes me sad, so we're not ready. Tick-tock, though...