Tuesday, August 12, 2008

and speaking of environmental justice

i was looking up superfund sites in my area... and i guess it is no surprise that Philly ranks as one of the most polluted cities in the us.
the above site will even show you the name, address (and even phone numbers...if you'd like to harass) the industries in your neighborhood, and exactly which substances they are emitting and at what levels. amazing. My inner geek activist public health nurse is pissed off and drooling over it.
there are maps too. and a few places down the street from me as well.
I really like this scorecard site, that tells you how your city/state ranks in all kinds of pollution, what type of substances and what levels they are being emitted at, and what health concerns there are (y'know, cancer, birth defects, respiratory disease)

okay. thats my break from studying. i guess i really do like this information in a sick, angry way.

No comments: